|Former Use:||Bone and Flint Mill|
|New Use:||Industrial Museum|
|Construction year(s):||1857 -|
|Reuse year(s):||1978 - 1991|
In June 1978 Jim Kelly, then the Keeper of Social History at Stoke-on-Trent Museum, called for volunteers to restore the Mill and machinery. It had been in continuous use from 1857 until work stopped when modern machinery on site had been commissioned to replace it in 1972. During that time it had seen little alteration, it had become neglected during its latter days, but was essentially as it had been built well over a century before. The first working party took place on 22nd October 1978 and voluntary work has continued to the present day, some of the original volunteers are still on the team over 34 years later.
The site’s historical significance was recognised in 1975 with it being designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument with the buildings being grade 2* listed. The site was officially opened to the public by Fred Dibnah on 6th April, 1991. It continues to be maintained and operated by volunteers. (1)
2.Stratton, M. 2003. Industrial Buildings: Conservation and Regeneration, London, Taylor & Francis, 184