|Former Use:||Textile mill|
|Reuse Architect:||P J Livesey (developer)|
|Construction year(s):||1856 -|
|Reuse year(s):||2003 -|
Ilex Mill on Bacup Road dates from 1856 when it was built by one of the famous Lancashire Whitehead brothers, Peter, following the dissolution of his business partnership with Thomas and David.
Derelict for many years, the building attracted a great deal of adverse comment and was under threat of demolition for a long time. However various plans were put forward, including one from Rossendale Borough Council who wanted the premises for a new town hall and police station.
Eventually in 2004 work began on a multi-million-pound redevelopment to renovate the fabric of the mill and turn it into the current selection of one and two bedroom luxury appartments. Wherever possible the developers preserved many of the original features including steel beams, vaulted ceilings and original archways. It is now a Grade II listed building. (5)
- Stratton, M. 2003. Industrial Buildings: Conservation and Regeneration, London, Taylor & Francis p. 193